October 13, 2014

Chris' Declassified School Survival Guide

Two weeks ago, all of my professors got together and devised a plan to put all of the tests, articles, essays, and reading assignments they had on the same week in an effort to destroy me. 

Okay fine, that isn't true BUT it certainly felt like that the past couple weeks. I know you all understand what I am talking about, when all of the important and crazy things decide to all happen on the same week and the only time you get to sit down is when you are sleeping and you think that one of your friends has put "Have You Seen This Person?" fliers with your latest selfie all over town.

Truth be told, I think that as I am getting older, I am beginning to understand more and more of what my high school counselor was trying to tell me for three years: Balance is the Key to Life.

Whenever I was feeling stressed, I would seek guidance from Mrs. Brady, THE most amazing counselor in the world. After I would vent my frustrations, Brady would just point to picture of an elephant balancing on a small ball with the caption, "Balance is the Key to Life".



 As a college student, having balance in your life is key to survival and when you get stressed out and are beginning to feel a little off, you need to figure out what to do to get that balance again.

Which is what I had to this week.

Before I tell you what I did, I want to say that this is just a few things I thought of that I did to help myself, each of  you are different and amazing in your own way so take what I say and spin it for yourself! 

That being said..

The Stressed Out Student Survival Guide


1. Surround Yourself with Good People

I think that this is probably one of the more important things to do when you are feeling stressed out. There were times during the week when I really wanted to just lock myself in my room and scream into a pillow. Problem is that when I am by myself, it is just me and my thoughts and all I can think about is how how I have an assignment due in one class and a paper due in another and then I just get stressed out all over again. 

That is when I get up and I start talking to people. 

This does not mean I start to vent on social media! NEVER VENT ON SOCIAL MEDIA! Don't tell all 400 followers about your problems and frustrations. Call your friend, your parents, your siblings, people you trust and who are positive and tell them your problems. It is a lot better that way and you are more likely to get a response. ( #KeepSocialMediaPositive) 

Fortunately for me, this week was homecoming week at USU so I had plenty of positive people to hang out with on Saturday during the homecoming parade!



Miss USU aka Megan Hill, one of the best people you are ever going to meet. 

Brittany Peterson! Got the honor of being her partner for ALE this year! 











































































THE Sawyer Hemsley! I would highly recommend checking out his photography, it is pretty amazing.
Sawyer Hemsley Photography















































2. Schedule the Big Rocks


In the ambassador class we every Thursday, we are learning about how to be productive people. One of our advisers, Kate, taught us about the importance of scheduling. 

A lot of us have so much to do in one day and it's hard to remember everything that we have to do which is why it is really awesome to write it all down! Before I start my day, I'll sit down with a paper and pen and just write down what I have to do. Having a physical sheet in my hand really does help me focus and keep my day productive! What Kate taught me was that I had to remember that when I created this list that I had to keep the most important things at the top of the list. The higher the importance, the higher it went on my list!


3. Find Your Happy Place

Alright, this doesn't mean close your idea and start humming in your room. I mean find an actual place to go and think. After a few hours of being in my room or in the library, getting up and going outside is the best way to clear your head. One of my favorite places on campus is the cemetery by the student housing above campus. During the fall is the best time to go. 

 Even ten minutes at your favorite spot is going to give you some clarity. That is what is so great about USU, there are such beautiful spots for people to go to all over the place!




4. Eat Responsibly

Now I am not going to take a lot of time on this because I cannot judge anyone on what they eat since I purchase Ben and Jerry's Half Baked ice cream every time I go to the store so I will just say this; eat what you want but ask why you are eating it. Are you actually hungry or are you just stress eating? Oh, and drink water. I know that many people love their soda but water is the best option when you need to cool down and think clearly! 


5. Take A Walk

Now this tip is totally up to you! Personally, I go to the gym everyday for at least an hour. Some people I know go for three hours. Don't feel like you need to hit the gym every day but when you are stressed, letting go of some energy on a walk, run, or quick workout might jump-start your brain again and have you ready to tackle the next assignment head on and just a little bit more swoll.



6. Create THE Playlist

Now I am just talking about an hour long playlist of some cool jams. I am talking about two or three songs that make you seem like you are in your very own music video where you are front and center on that stage. There is nothing better than when you plug yourself into your music and that one song comes that you feel was meant for you. I have a solid five but currently my two favorite songs are below!






Hopefully I come up with more tips soon!

I love my life as a student up here at USU and yeah it is pretty crazy at times but I haven't had any regrets so far and I don't think I will for quite sometime. College is great. USU is great. You're great.

Make good choices!


Love, 

Chris 

PS: If you have any questions or want to let me know whats going on on campus! Tweet to me! I want to hear from  you! 



No comments:

Post a Comment