November 27, 2014

What I'm Thankful For

Hopefully you are all wearing your stretchy pants today and are preparing whatever feast your mom and extended family is preparing for tonight. 

I won't take up too much of your time but I wanted to use today to tell  you all a few Aggie-related things I am grateful for!

1. I am grateful for paying $16 dollars to see a movie

Sounds steep but it went towards a good cause! Relay For Life is a big deal here at USU and every year they host a really really early preview of an upcoming popular movie and this year it was the new Hunger Games movie! Next semester, they will actually host the relay where the donations go towards cancer research!


Abbie, Maren, and myself taking a selfie before Katniss arrives


2. I am grateful for diversity!

THE Braxton Beers. My Diversity Day Partner.




Last Friday, I had the opportunity to be a group leader for Diversity Day which the admissions office hosts every year to over 200 multicultural high school students! I had the honor of being partners with Braxton Beers! I didn't get a picture of it but my favorite part of the day was when Alex Boye spoke to us. My favorite thing he said to us was "There is a lion in your mirror."



























3. I am grateful for being a mentor.


Remember those two new little bros I mentioned in my previous blog? Well they went through their ritual for Sigma Phi Episilon on Saturday and it was awesome seeing them go through. Some of you may be older siblings or a mentor to someone else and so you know how it feels to awesome it is to be that leader and example. For those of you who are not mentors, I would highly recommend becoming one because it puts a smile on your face when you see your mentee achieve something. 

One of my little bros Jordan and I taking a picture just after his ritual!
We call our family tree the House of Patriarchs. ( Braden (Trents big) , Trent (my big) , me, and Jordan (my little) )




4. I'm grateful for the Aggie family

This last one is the one near and dear to my heart. On Monday, I went to the Beards for Loretta showcase in the Taggart Student Center ballroom. This was the opportunity for all of the facial-hair growers on campus to come and show their beards to win prizes! There were some really great facial hair and even some ladies grew their leg hair for the cause!

What makes this so dear to me is because Loretta is the mother of one of the very first people who I met when I came to USU. Stephanie Mitzel Heinrich and her husband Scott (who is also my fraternity brother) were at the showcase to represent Steph's mom, Loretta Mitzel who was diagnosed with stage five pancreatic neuroendocrine cancer.

Seeing all of those students at USU at that showcase giving support to Steph and her family was overwhelming for me because it just made me realize how much I love being here at USU. You never know who is going to give you support but here at USU, you at least know you have support no matter what. 

Steph and I



Now after you finish reading and oogling over Braxton Beers (yeah, he is single), I want you to turn off your laptops, put your phone on silent and spend five minutes thinking about all the things you are grateful for. If you do it right and without interruptions,  your mind is going to think a million things you have that some others arent fortunate enough to have. 

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

Make good choices!




No comments:

Post a Comment