January 12, 2015

New Year+New You

Welcome back to school Aggies,and in the year 2015 no less! Christmas break was definitely a good time to relax and enjoy family and friends during the good old Holiday traditions. We are all back now in the hustle and bustle of the last semester of the 14-15 school year. It's crazy to think that so many of my friends are graduating or finishing parts of their lives by the time we reach May this year. As far as school goes, it's always super hard to get back into the routine of things, especially when we have only been in school for a few days and we are all already swamped with homework. As you can see, my life has been taken over.
I obviously need my Cherry Coke. That is definitely my go to drink! And if you are anything like me, snacks and drinks are the way to go when studying! 

By the time each year comes to an end, we all have come up with new year resolutions and things that we want to change for the upcoming year. I cannot tell you how many people I have seen out running over the past week! My husband and I have decided that we need to be healthier, just like everyone else, but we are the worst at cutting out every single type of food. We just decided that we would just cut back on eating as much and exercising more. Everything in moderation right? One of the cool things that we have purchased, more for the benefit of the competition of who can do better, is the Fitbit band. 
I feel like this is one of those engagement ring pictures.
This band keeps track of how many steps you take and can even monitors your sleep. They also have a website (and the app of course) that you can check and see how well you're doing, look at your sleeping patterns, and then log your food and workouts. We figured since there is something on our wrists then we might actually do something about keeping our fitness goal up. Let's see how long it lasts ;)


<<<OTHER  THAN FITNESS>>>


Over the Christmas break, my husband and I, along with my family, had the opportunity to go to Tijuana Mexico with a non-profit organization called Builders Without Borders. We went down to go build houses and bunk beds for those who were in need. It was such a neat experience, which makes me want to take another goal into consideration. Being able to serve other people made me really want to continue to serve those around me, even while I'm not in Mexico.
The inside of the house that we were building. This is my family, the two lovely ladies on the left (almost in the middle) were the ones we were building the house for. 
Olga, the lady on the far left, is who we were building the house for. My mom, on my right, made the curtains Olga is holding, along with a quilt and other things. The lady next to me, is Olivia, she was a neighbor in the area that came to help us, along with preparing lunch for us everyday. We were so blessed to have that service given to us!



This is just a brief glance of the bunk beds we built. We ended up building seven bunk beds for the seven different houses that were built.
Although we didn't get to finish the house, we know that we were doing something different and doing it for someone else that made the experience so great! I just love that there are so many amazing opportunities on and off campus (including the Val R. Christensen center that is located on the third floor in the TSC) that we can all get involved in. 

I know that the big thing right now are those health and fitness goals, now I'm not excluded other goals that people have set, I just want us all to stretch our goals in a different direction than what we have done before. I think we can all give back, especially with how much we have been given. 

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO THIS YEAR AGGIES????

(and a Happy New Year!)
-TB

"Be of service. Whether you make yourself available to a friend or co-worker, or you make time every month to do volunteer work, there is nothing that harvests more of a feeling of empowerment than being of service to someone in need"-Gillian Anderson


http://www.usu.edu/servicecenter/

No comments:

Post a Comment